With the many varied options available to the couple trying-to-conceive, the ancient practice of acupuncture is rapidly becoming a popular choice, addressing fertility and alleviating the stresses that many couples face on a daily basis. From work, finances, health, dietary and lifestyle choices, the pressure to perform as a productive partner both at work and as a support on your joint journey to conception can be overwhelming and may be reflected in your health, fertility and general well-being.
Acupuncture has been in practice for thousands of years and although relatively new to western society, it is now an effective option for millions of people worldwide who use it to target and relieve health concerns. With increasing interest from mainstream health care providers highlighting its effectiveness for varying health concerns including the improvement of fertility, we thought we’d give you some food for thought!
How does acupuncture work?
Fine sterile needles are used in a specific way to stimulate certain
How can acupuncture improve fertility?
When targeting fertility issues, the aim of acupuncture for women is to achieve the following:
· Help to regulate the menstrual cycle by correcting any hormonal imbalances.
· Support follicular development in order to improve egg quality.
· Increase the thickening of the lining to support the uterus in the successful implantation of the embryo.
· Many studies have shown that acupuncture improves the success of fertility by up to 40-60% when administered before and after embryo transfer.
· Aids the reduction of stress on the body which can affect the regulation of ovulation and menstruation which can negatively impact fertility.
· Contribute to a reduction in inflammation that may influence fertility.
· Can help to enhance the quality of sperm by supporting an improved sperm count, motility and other factors that may result in poor quality sperm.
· Helps to reduce stress levels which can negatively impact sperm quality.
· Improves general health and well-being to support enhanced fertility.
Do both partners need acupuncture?
It is recommended that both partners attend at least the first consultation, this enables specific concerns to be discussed in order to determine the most effective strategy to increase your chances of conception. As acupuncture has been found to improve sperm quality within a 3-day time frame, many men opt to have acupuncture at a time that coincides with their partner’s ovulation. It must also be remembered that in order to successfully conceive the health of both parents is paramount to success and acupuncture with all its benefits in supporting optimal health and well-being can only be a positive step for both partners.
How long will it take to conceive?
Of course, the answer is variable as everyone is different with perhaps differing reasons for their fertility issues. Age, current health status, dietary and lifestyle choices all determine the duration of treatment and the number of treatment cycles needed. On average one cycle of treatment equals 12 sessions of acupuncture. Accurate information will be provided by your acupuncturist after 4-5 sessions as this will allow sufficient time for your body to demonstrate how it will respond to the treatment. This must be determined in conjunction with your acupuncturist who with
Is acupuncture safe? Is acupuncture hygienic?
The needles used are sterile surgical stainless steel needles and are sold as